When you own a home, one of the most menacing threats to your house and family members is the potential for a fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners took on nearly $1.6 billion in losses by means of unintentional or unattended fires. The terrible truth is fires are unexpected and many times avoidable -- with a little knowledge of where to start. And, luckily, you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that gets you aid immediately if you experience an emergency.
What Causes House Fires In Gulfport?
Fires may start in any spot with no warning in the house. However, you can lessen the risk of a blaze if you take precautions around the following household objects:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in Gulfport. Kitchen-related fires commonly begin when the kitchen goes neglected during meal preparation. Water used on a grease fire only works to escalate a flame that would otherwise be contained.
- Candles: Nodding off in an area with a going candle is risky, even when you use a high-sided candle holder. The flame is more than capable of catching a curtain ablaze if left on a window sill, and animals can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that more than 7,600 properties were damaged due to candle-related accidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Corroded electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, degrading or poorly installed lighting, and split lamp cords are all prone to sparks. Be careful not to overburden your outlets or plug any object in with bare wires. If for any reason you hear crackling or smell smoke from the outlet, flip the breaker off prior to checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Look past coiled space heaters because debris, like dust, old papers, or blankets can end up in and alight. However, you need to make sure to check on fan and ceramic space heaters whenever the device is in operation.
- Cigarettes: In 2014 alone, U.S. fire departments came to more than 17,000 residence fires caused by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. So if you have a smoker that smokes indoors, ensure they never pass out with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully snuff out your tobacco items before you toss it into a waste bin.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Brings Help Quickly When It Senses A Fire
If a fire happens to spark, you have to have a speedy warning system to alert your family members as soon as possible. A traditional smoke alarm could suffice but is limited to alerting you if smoke is in thick clouds. An advanced fire alarm -- a security device that's tied to your home security system -- is able to discover both smoke and rising temperatures and has more features to make sure your family is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has multiple it can warn you of a fire. Your alarms can alert your family with an ear-piercing tone and a notification to your cell phone. That’s when your 24/7 monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And should you be somewhere where you can't speed home when a fire starts, you can rest assured that your monitoring agent will facilitate contact between you and first responders.
Get Your Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in Gulfport should never be written off, but you can have peace of mind if you install a monitored fire alarm on the premises. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you get all the safety detectors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (228) 220-2891 or submit the form below to begin.